The Genealogy of the Ryeland and connected Families
Francis John RYELAND1902 - Yes, date unknown
Name Francis John RYELAND  Born 14 Jan 1902 Templemore, Tipperary, Munster, Ireland [1, 3, 4] Gender Male Education Dover County School for Boys  Military
Occupation 1916-1920 Bodaybo, , Irkutskaya Oblast', Russia  Mining Engineer, Lena Goldfields, DIals, U.S.S.R. Travel 1926 Lagos, , Lagos, Nigeria  Travel 14 Feb 1926 Liverpool, , Lancashire, England  from Lagos Residence 14 Feb 1926 Dover, , Kent, England  24 Snargate Street Travel 1928 Buenos Aires, , Distrito Federal, Argentina  Travel 1928 Lisbon, , Lisboa, Portugal  Occupation Abt 1928 Huelva, , Andalucía, Spain  Rio Tinto Mining Company Residence Abt 1928 Dover, , Kent, England
- By Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Great Britain) Published 1928
Ryeland, Francis John (Dover, Kent)
Residence 1928 Huelva, , Andalucía, Spain Vista Alegre I, Minas DE Rio Tinto Residence Abt Jan 1928 Cyprus
- The Mining Magazine
Vol. 38, no. 1 (Jan. 1928)
"Francis J Ryeland has left for Cyprus."
Travel 10 Jul 1928 Southampton, , Hampshire, England  from Buenos Aires, , Distrito Federal, Argentina via Lisbon, , Lisboa, Portugal Residence 10 Jul 1928 Dover, , Kent, England  26 Snargate Street Residence Abt 1931 Colombia
- The Mining Magazine - Published 1931 Mining Publications - Vol. 38, no. 1 (Jan. 1928)
"F. J. Ryeland has left for Columbia"
Travel 1933 Kingston, , , Jamaica  Travel 1933 Santa Marta, , Arauca, Colombia  Travel 20 Feb 1933 Bristol, , Gloucestershire, England  from Kingston, Jamaica via Santa Marta, Colombia Occupation 8 Feb 1935 Liverpool, , Lancashire, England  Attorney and Mining Engineer for the Gold Coast Main Reef Ltd
- Mr. F. J. Ryeland, A.R.S.M., A.I.M.M., fourth son of Captain and Mrs. A. E. Ryeland, sailed from Liverpool for West Africa on Wednesday last. Mr. F. J. Ryeland, who is an old Dover County School boy, has been appointed Attorney and mining Engineer for the Gold Coast Main Reef, Ltd.«b» - Dover Express, Friday 8 February 1935«/b»
Travel 1936 Takoradi, , , Ghana  Occupation 1936 Mine Manager - Obuom Gold Mines Ltd.
- The Mining Year Book - Published 1971 - W.R. Skinner and Financial Times
Travel 14 Jun 1936 Liverpool, , Lancashire, England  from Takoradi Travel 1939 Lagos, , Lagos, Nigeria  Travel 1939 Takoradi, , , Ghana  Travel 9 Dec 1939 Liverpool, , Lancashire, England  from Lagos, , Lagos, Nigeria via Takoradi, , , Ghana Residence 9 Dec 1939 Ramsgate, , Kent, England  Buckland Hachury Ave Travel 1944 Freetown, , Western Area, Sierra Leone  Travel 1944 Takoradi, , , Ghana  Travel 5 Jul 1944 Liverpool, , Lancashire, England  from Takoradi, Ghana via Freetown, , Western Area, Sierra Leone Occupation Attorney and Mining Engineer for the Gold Coast Main Reef, Ltd  Occupation Ghana  The British Government's Chief Inspector of Gold Mines, The Gold Coast (Ghana Africa) Occupation 1948 Senior Inspectors of Mines
- The Colonial Office List, Comprising Historical and Statistical Information Respecting the ...
By Great Britain Colonial Office Published 1948 H.M. Stationery Off
Occupation Aft 1957 Pakistan 
- After the Gold Coast gained its independence in 1957, John, as he was known to us, went as mining engineer to Pakistan in the employ of the government; he did not like it and soon returned to Africa where he started his own business, a quarry for aggregates.
Occupation Aft 1958 Zambia 
- I cannot quite remember whether it was in Zambia or Malawi, but think Zambia. Sometime around late 50s early 60s he suffered a tragic accident whilst using explosives in the quarry and was paralysed from the waste down with no feeling in his legs. He then came to England with wife Mary to see if anything could be done. I visited him in Hammersmith hospital and met Mary.
The treatment was unsuccessful and he returned to Africa. Not sure where or when he died but I think he sold up and pretty sure they have moved to South Africa. Mary certainly lived on in South Africa later and kept in contact with the occasional Christmas card etc.
_UID 9171431F037C4572A2E817247D62F573A635 Died Yes, date unknown Person ID I7227 Ryeland Family Tree Last Modified 31 Mar 2017
Father Captain Arthur Edwin RYELAND, b. 16 Mar 1872, Kings Cross, Islington, , Middlesex, England , d. 5 Mar 1963, River, Dover, , Kent, England (Age 90 years) Mother Mary Ann Elizabeth BANFILL, b. 2 Apr 1873, Camberwell, Surrey, England , d. 19 May 1942, Banstead, , Surrey, England (Age 69 years) Married 13 Jan 1895 All Saints, Deptford, Greenwich, , Kent, England [1, 4, 10, 11, 12, 13]
- All Saints, Hatcham Park 
Arthur Edwin RYELAND and Mary Ann Elizabeth BANFILL Marriage Certificate.jpg Family ID F1333 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Family Mary Annie WILDMAN, b. Abt 1907, d. Yes, date unknown Married 6 Mar 1928 Seville, , Andalucía, Spain [5, 7]
- RYELAND - WILDMAN - On 6th March, 1928, at H.B.M. Consulate, Seville, Spain, Francis John Ryeland, A.R.S.M., to Mary Wildman. - Dover Express - Friday 16th March, 1928
Last Modified 27 Nov 2014 Family ID F2321 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Event Map = Link to Google Earth
Photos F. J. Ryeland Football 1920.jpg Francis John Ryeland 1919-1920.jpg Francis John Ryeland.jpg Francis John and Arthur Edwin Ryeland.jpg
- No. 57. MARCH, 1928. VOL. XVIII.
HEAD MASTER'S NOTES
Summet' Term, 1928.-The Summer Term will commence on Thursday, 3rd May, and end on Wednesday, 25th July, 1928.
...I was equally deligDted to be pleasantly surprised, one morning, by the arrival of a most handseme solid silver Challe':lge Cup from the brothers F. ]., F. G., and E. Ryeland-Capt. Ryeland's three sons, whose' careers at School we remember with the greatest pleasure. They were, as might have been expected, particularly interested in and devoted to the Royal Engirieers School Cadet Company, with whose progress and success they were closely connected as responsible non-commissioned officers. For such service we were much indebted to them, and now they have increased that debt to an extent and :in a manner difficult to repay. Their gift has been handed on to the School Cadet Company as a Cup for Shooting. The Rio Tinto Mining Company of Huelva, Spain, have secured the :services of the eldest brother, Francis John, to whom I have :bad the pleasure of writing, recently, a congratulatory message upon his marriage. I know he will be glad to hear from other .contemporaries at his address: Vista Alegre I, Minas de Rio Tinto, Huelva, SPain.
1st CADET COY. C.P.(F.) R.E.
Mention must also be made of three other ex-cadets in connection with the Ryeland Shooting Cup, a most handsome silver trophy which the. three brothers Ryeland, C.Q.M.S. F. J. Ryeland, Serjt. F. G. Ryeland and Serjt. E. Ryeland, have presented to the Corps for an inter-section musketry competition. The Corps is extremely grateful for this generous gift, and has done its best to show its gratitude by commencing to compete' a:t once for the Cqp. The scheme of the competition is as follows :-Each of the. sections will fire on its allotted day throughout the year, at the end of which each will hand in its six best individual targets, the trophy being awarded to the section with the highest aggregate. This competition has, indeed~ aroused such enthusiasm that ~e problem now is to pay for the ammunition used by our zealous, aspiring marksmen.
- (Medical):I cannot quite remember whether it was in Zambia or Malawi, but think Zambia. Sometime around late 50s early 60s he suffered a tragic accident whilst using explosives in the quarry and was paralysed from the waste down with no feeling in his legs. He then came to England with wife Mary to see if anything could be done. I visited him in Hammersmith hospital and met Mary.
The treatment was unsuccessful and he returned to Africa. Not sure where or when he died but I think he sold up and pretty sure they have moved to South Africa. Mary certainly lived on in South Africa later and kept in contact with the occasional Christmas card etc. 
- No. 57. MARCH, 1928. VOL. XVIII.
- [S16] 1911 British Census.
- [S701] Roger Banfil & Dick Ryeland Family Tree, Roger Banfil & Dick Ryeland.
- [S179] John Ryeland Family Tree, John Ryeland Family Tree.
- [S68] Joan Alberta Ryeland, Joan Alberta Ryeland.
- [S255] Dover County School for Boys Archives, (URL: http://dovergrammar.co.uk/).
- [S635] UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 - Ancestry, Ancestry.co.uk.
- [S58] British Newspapers 1710-1950, findmypast.co.uk.
- [S813] Dick Ryeland, Dick Ryeland, (Location: Email).
- [S110] David Ryeland, David Ryeland.
- [S5] Free BMD.
- [S4] Philip Ryeland Family Tree, Philip Ryeland.
- [S20] FamilySearch International Genealogical Index v5.0, (URL: http://www.familysearch.org).
- [S172] Arthur Edwin RYELAND and Mary Ann Elizabeth BANFILL Marriage Certificate, England and Wales. Registrar General., marriage certificate (Reliability: 3).
- [S16] 1911 British Census.